 Local / Sverige / 326
Re: Svensk sändlista?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.se, Tobias Möller writes:
What really strikes me as confusing is that you understood the message in
the first place... :)

Most Scandinavian languages seem to be similar enough to German and English
that I can pick out the general meaning sometimes (I had a bit of German in
secondary school).  My father used to sing bedtime songs to me in Swedish too
when I was a kid, so the words tend to have a warm and friendly feel to them,
even though I can't read them.  :)

Yeah, me too! I also know that you have replied to messages in lugnet.loc.no,
which were written in Norwegian. Do you know many different languages or do
you use a translator of some sort?

I use AltaVista's Babelfish[1] once in a while, but it only does English,
French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, so it's not very much help
in cases like this.  It wasn't too tough to pick out words like "mailinglista"
and "grupp" and the website kanalen.org in Thomas' message.

Someday I would love to take a crash course in learning multiple European
languages simultaneously -- I'm always amazed at the huge similarity between
them, especially between Dutch and German and between Italian and Spanish and
Portuguese -- and wonder if it's easier to learn a whole bunch at once or
separately.  (Traveling around for a year is probably the fastest way,
though, ja?  :-)

--Todd

[1] babelfish.altavista.com