 Local / Canada / Ontario / 189
188  |  190
Subject:
Hobby Show Clarifications (WAS:: Do you ever wonder...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:43:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.on, Gerard Steenbeek writes:

Sounds like we have three, maybe four already that would be interested in
this.  Should we start a new thread perhaps and see about organizing it?

yes definately, i can start one. Unless you start one while I am writing
this.

Thanks again for doing so.

You mention that November is a long way off to commit to being there.  Do
you feel that trying to organize this later in the year would have been • more
effective?  (1)

Well i`m switching schools right now, and I don`t know which university will
accept me and give me some credit for the work i have done. So I don`t even
know where I will be living in November. 90% sure it will be in southern
ontario.

Yes, that makes sense.  My own bias was coming into play I think.  I have
already scheduled my holidays for that time.  I guess I was thinking
everyone can do that, but of course that's not true.

HOWEVER, we need time to build impressive Lego models, and since i recently
got a newer set, i`m expeimenting with liftarm and the like to build
something better than possible with bricks alone. I mainly build with
Technic (just so you know). Right now I`m planning something that i believe
will be nice, and then building will take a while too. But will it be
together till November? I don`t know If i finish it in may or june, it will
have to be really impressive to convince me to buy more lego to leave it
together... Maybe i`ll get a mindstorms set then ;)

Yup... "impressive" is the keyword.  They don't have to be massive... but
should be original and inventive enough to make people say, "wow".

Initially When I read the post and saw November I right away thought "That
is far away, maybe i`ll look at it later, like sept or oct". Now you have
successfully focused my attention to it, but i`m sure most people thought in
the same way.

I think it was hard to convey my enthusiasm via an internet posting.

Was there a better way in which to announce it?  I dumped nearly all the
details into one long LUGNET post.  I'm wondering if it was too much • reading
all at once.

Info was good, but i think you should have posted it in all ontario groups
instead of just .ca.on, not much is posted there, no one reads it, i
happened to see it because it was highlighted on the front page.

Actually, it went to the .announce and .general group as well.  I was kind
of thinking people might jump on me for over-posting it, so I wanted to be
cautious.  I want to get people's attention, not annoy them.  :)

I get a sense that the awareness is building, so let's see what another week
or two brings.

Are there any incentives (such as prizes etc.) that might help get people • to
express an interest in this?

Probably, but I`m interested anyway.

Cool... then no prizes are necessary.

;)  Just kidding.  Actually, I'm hoping to work out something, so that there
can be some small, but fun LEGO prizes.

Did the original announcement sound as though I was asking people to sign • in
blood that they would attend?  I hope not.  It was really meant to let
people know this was happening and to get people to email me with an
expressed interest in attending, not a firm commitment.

Seemed a little, at least to me, your other postings made it more clear...

I get clearer on subsequent attempts at the same topic.  LOL

(1) I was actually worried that the announcement was coming too late. • I've
been working on this since December of 2002.  Much of that time was spent
contacting the show itself, the LEGO company and also potential vendors • for
the show.

I must thank you for already putting in so much effort to get those
organizations involved, I know how those things can sometimes take forever.

It's not been a tremendous amount of effort... perhaps more patience than
anything.  I tried hard to get a vendor, but circumstances prevented each of
them, for one reason or another.

I will be trying to attend for at least one day,

And that's all I really need to hear from people.  If enough people could
commit to just one day each... we'd be all set.  I will be there for the
full 3 days to co-ordinate things.  If we had people and/or models coming
and going, that's fine.  So long as there's a supply to backfill empty booth
space.

Of course, anyone wanting to attend for all three days is also welcome.  :)

All the best!
Allan B.
- Join other LEGO builders at this year's Hobby Show in Toronto, ON
- http://www.apotome.com/hobbyshow/index.html