 Local / Canada / Ontario / 188
Re: Meeting for AFOL who can`t make it to Toronto.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on.tor, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ham
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:21:01 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.on, Gerard Steenbeek writes:
We are looking to organize an meeting like the rtlToronto Dinners, but at a
location outside of the GTA.

Gerard... thanks for taking the time to post this. It's very well written.

This is not at all a movement to form another
group other than rtlToronto since we don`t want to split up people. We just
would like to organize an unofficial get together in the central part of
southern Ontario.

I agree.  rtlToronto has a rich history and does a good job of representing
the LEGO fans and community in the Toronto area.  But wimps like me don't
always want to drive to Toronto.  :)

We have not yet decided on a place to get together but it would probably
somewhere in the imaginary triangle formed by London, Kitchener and
Harriston. This would allow people from the London area , KW area, and all
those little towns and small cities towards lake Huron to meet without
having to drive more than an hour to get to Toronto. Of course people from
the GTA are just as welcome if they are willing to make the journey down
this way.

Very well said.  Exactly what I was thinking.  Target audience, but also no
restrictions.

This event could be a very good opportunity to show other people what you
have made out of Lego and share ideas and help each other out. You might
also be able to Buy, Sell or Trade Lego.

When you say 'event' are you thinking of the types of dinners that
rtlToronto does?  Or are you thinking of a more extended 'meeting' of sorts,
perhaps for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon... including food, but lasting
longer than a meal?

We can also look into participating
in events such as the hobby show in November or similar events in cities
outside the GTA.

Yes!  Thanks Gerard!!

I won't highjack this thread, I promise.  But... The Hobby Show is a go, so
long as I hear from some more people.  Take a minute to read about what's
going on:  http://www.apotome.com/hobbyshow/index.html  and please email me
with even something like, "yup, I'm interested, but I probably can't commit
to more than Saturday."  etc.  I don't need a contract from you signed in
blood... just a suggestion that you'd like to attend, if all goes well.  My
idea is that if we have enough of these type of commitments, we can easily
man the booth for the 3 days!  Thanks in advance.  I don't think you'll
regret attending this show.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread:

Once Again, this is not a separist movement from rtlToronto

Worth repeating. I would suggest that this is simply an attempt to offer
another gathering for people to attend, if they want.  It's in no way an
attempt to *replace* any existing events.

If you are interested please reply to this thread and we can set up a list
of possible locations. Please include where you live, and driving times to
different cities.

As noted, I'm in Stratford.  Just about exactly 1 hour from either London or
Kitchener/Waterloo.

Thanks for reading this, I hope we can get a group of people who have never
been able to make it to a Toronto meeting and introduce those to people in
other areas of Ontario, maybe even people from Toronto!

Exactly.  Let's see what happens.

Best regards,
Allan B.