 Local / Canada / British Columbia / Victoria / 121
Re: New AFOL in Victoria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:27:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic, George Edward Godwin wrote:
Hi!

I guess I should have looked more. I posted a message to: lugnet.org.ca.viclug
which has seen no traffic but mine for months. I wish I had known about the
Shirley Display last week as I might have been able to go.

So can anyone tell me why there are two different newsgroups for basically the
same purpose?

Anyway what I really wanted to know about was the chances of meeting sometime
and any info on the Saanich Fair model competition. I assume it is just for kids
but you never know...

a) Welcome to Lugnet!

b) The duplication seems this way for every group, I believe because when Lugnet
was first started, a group was made for every geographic location (ie, every
city)  Then LUGs starting asking for newsgroups--and since it's mostly LUG
activity driving message counts (ie, people tend to talk with people they know
versus just area announcements) up, the pairings were somewhat lopsided.

So, while the Toronto newsgroup sits dormant at 300 messages, the rtlToronto LUG
newsgroup is over 8500 messages.

Best thing to do is to contact your local LUG via email, and ask to be put on
their mailing list.  Many run a list for announcements of events etc.

Calum