 Local / Australia / Western Australia / Perth / 79
Re: What do you store your Lego in?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.wa.per
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:54:51 GMT

Hi all,
            I have approx 30,000 pieces from 250 sets. I store all the
pieces sorted and sorted in plastic drawers that can be seen at
http://users.wantree.com.au:8080/~terrym/room.htm The pictures where taken
when I had approx 15000 pieces. I have added more drawers since then. This
takes up all quite a lot of space in a large room. I have moved the empty
set boxes to another room as they are quite bulky to store. They are kept in
moving boxes so they don't get chrushed. Mark said that he has 1.5 million
pieces which at say an average of 300 pieces per set (quite high really)
would equate to 5000 sets. His house must be half full of lego stuff with no
room to live. Be interesting for some pictures of that or maybe not. It
might stem the lego funds from the NLSO if she saw what could happen.

Cheers
Terry

Mark Harrison <harro1@one.net.au> wrote in message
Hi Braith,

I bought two Rubbermaid brand 12 draw stackable storage packs. Each pack • has
a total of 96 compartments. I think they were about $36.00 each at K-Mart.
Later I bought a smaller 6 draw version with 48 compartments and have
stacked the small one between the two big ones, about 1.5 metres high all • up
and holds every conceivable technic piece except beams and wheels.

All my town sets, when not in use, are kept in Hercules brand Zip Click • bags
and stored in stackable Sabco storage draws which are great when you can
pick them up for $12.95 on special, normally $20.95.

The most important thing to do when storing lego is to keep them away from
UV light, that includes fluros.

I've got about 1.5 million pieces but still no where near as much as the
Tidman brothers over there in WA.

Mark H.

Braith Garden wrote:

Hi all,

Very quiet here at the moment so I thought I'd start a local thread.

Well, after moving house and dismantling all of my official Lego sets
(took some pics but haven't been to a lab yet), I've decided to sort my
pieces with efficient building in mind.  i.e. specific parts grouped
together such as technic connectors or 1x? plates, etc.

I've been looking around the major department stores and shopping
centres for clear storage boxes and small drawer systems and have found
a couple of items that might be of interest to anyone with a good sized
collection.

The cheapest and IMHO the best storage container for small elements are
made by Fischer and are sold by K-Mart for $5.95.
PRO: 12 or 18 compartment tackle boxes, clear plastic for easy piece ID
,pieces don't stray when box is flipped, lid doubles as a tray when
open.
CON: Compartments are non-adjustable, max. compartment length ~7 studs
(12 box).

Plano make tackle boxes in a similar style but has adjustable
compartments.  The 3700 box is ideal but at $17.00 is a little pricey
for plastic.  Still, I got one, and it has worked well for storing gears
and pulleys.  Can have up to 24 compartments. Small diff gears seem to
be able to "climb the wall" and jump into another compartment when the
box is flipped (my only gripe apart from $).  K-Mart also stock a
smaller Plano box in this style.

I was at the Galleria in Morley, and Priceline (I think that's the
name:-) were selling small sets of plastic drawers (4 drawers in each)
for $8.50.  I found these ideal for technic beams and normal bricks as
each drawer can be removed easily and used as a tray.  They still have a
few for sale.  They are located near the Woolworth's end entrance.

As for plates and others, I am using the boxes and trays of my larger
sets( Technic Shuttle, Model Team Big Rig, Pneumatic Truck and Pneumatic
Tow Truck).  Labels on the sides of each box identify the bounty within.

I'm curious what others are using to store their collections in.  I have
approx. 10,000 pieces
and the boxes I have found seem to do the trick, for now.

Let's get the local discussion going...   or have you all left???!!!

See-ya,
Braith.