 Local / Australia / 9131
Re: Largest Lego Collection in Australia ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 22:40:33 GMT

not using the Internet ,his choice of lego dealer would have been
limited,and bulk parts ,or supplementary kits even harder to find (Sydney
depot,second hand!),for at least until the 80s (was lego not so popular b4
this?)

I can't speak for Steak-n-Kidney but Lego was readily obtainable in Brisbane in
the 1960s, and back in the those days most sets were just "bulk parts"; very
few sets had a model with instructions as I recall. Indeed, I remember how
thrilled I was to get my first pack of roof slopes, and my pack of flags of the
world and my pack of trees. I can only recall getting a model set, and that
would have been around 1969/70. My Dark Ages commenced soon after so I can't
speak with much authority about Lego in the 1970s.

Of course, the guy could have a mate overseas who was shipping stuff out to
him. Or he could have been buying it by post from overseas (hey, we did have
communication before the Internet :-)) And maybe the guy lived in or travelled
through other parts of the world himself.

If he had bought one box of every set from way back then up until say 1997 ,
would that come close to  $90,000 ?

I would think so. And I can't see any reason why he wouldn't have bought
multiple sets, just as many of us do today. And, of course, if his love of Lego
was considered a great joke among his family and friends, what's the betting he
got gifts of Lego too from people? Again, who among us hasn't been given Lego,
even as an adult?

Of course, the problem is that we really don't know if the claim of $90K
represents the prices actually paid, or simply what he thinks the collection
would be worth in today's terms, or what someone has offered him for it, or
whatever.

Kerry