 Local / Australia / 8826
Re: Show disappointment. (was: STUDS stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 04:39:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
Any info on proposed visit to Castle Hill for the World Show?
Count me in on a weekend.

The Significant Other was going stir-crazy yesterday and it was quite easy
to suggest a trip to the (nearbyish) Castle Hill Towers.
Disappointment.

I visited this morning (4/5) and was probably less dissapointed... but that
may have been because I wasn't expecting too much after James' post.

And there was a Duplo pit to play in. I like Duplo pits.

It's not the world show at all.
No.

It's not even close.
No.

It is most of the stuff from the Powerhouse display (Jan 2001?) With some
extra. (Half a wizard, some broken Toa's and a western shooting gallery)
And a 'put yourself in the picture' sculpted knight (complete with a pot
belly) and junior knight. Unfortunately, I didn't take the camera with me. :-(

The shop has sale tickets all over it, advertising reduced prices, but the
reductions simply bring the price down to RRP (or BigW RRP) or sometimes not
even that.
True. The Enchanted Island at c.$55 is good if you don't know about the $45
ones at BigW. I picked up a 5975 dinosaur transport boat for $50, which I
think is pretty good. Several more left when I left.

K-Mart was the star of the trip, they had Collectors X-wings ($250?) stacked
on a Collectors TiE ($150) end. It would have been possible to argue that
they were the same price (since it wasn't just one it was 5 or so), But I
didn't have $150 lying around to spend on a Collector X-wing.
I didn't visit K-Mart. Uncle Pete's did not impress at all (the World Show
savings were significant indeed compared to Uncle Pete!

Any info on next meet? (I know it's still a little while off)
Shogun Bond-Sai had the last of his supplies arrive this week, Bows and
saddles and a extra Ninja to round out numbers. In all, he commands just
over 180 figs (a couple more than the postulated 150)

180! I can probably field around 60 dark ages troops. Good thing I'll have
some of Leonards devices  on hand. And a trained dinosaur or two.

So far (at Macq at least) these aren't rushing off shelves. Perhaps exposure
in the movie might help but I don't think it'll come close to Falcon-like
rarity. After all the falcon was iconic, the gunship is merely a retooled
helicopter. Perhaps there's hope for it to be discounted (but it'll probably
go very quickly then).
I wonder whether to draw card for the gunship isn't the the four clone troopers?

James (who is still recovering from the disappointment)

Cheers

Richie (who thinks if you don't expect to much, you can be in for a pleasant
suprise)