 Local / Australia / 8673
Re: Bugs... National get together - June Long Weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:39:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
We could arrange the gang to stay at a few of our places or something... I
can take a few people

I have two spare mattresses (not air mattresses)  which can go on our
downstairs floor (regularly used without complaint by my brother and my
sister-de-facto when they visit Brisbane). I can probably borrow more
mattresses if need be -- the floor space will take more people.

We could set the meeting at someone's house or
hire some place and make it big...

Unless we are completely overwhelmed with numbers, I'd stick to someone's
house. A LUGnetter house has everything you need:

* fridge for food and drink, plus crockery and cutlery as required
* lots of Lego lying about, plus instructions, catalogues, etc etc
* computer with Internet access all fully configured for use with LUGnet,
Shop@Home, bricklink etc
* any useful odds and end required (rubber bands, pair of tweezers, stapler,
sticky labels)
* covered by householders insurance (for public liability)
* costs nothing

Well... it's not that bad (having done something like this years ago).  But
we were just discussing... we could organise it here... we came up with some
ideas for extra table room etc... and also there's always the back yard and
the garage can be organised around too.

Sure I don't live in a mansion but it's not like we're gonna need every room
in the joint ;) Last meet we did at my joint held around 15 people, and that
was smaller than where we are now (being single level this time helps too).

If we have to go with a hall, then we need to consider the issue of cost, and
(a major logistical pain) organising food and drink, including crockery and
means to keep it hot or cold as appropriate.

This is just a start so lets pour some ideas and interest in.  I think the
theme should just be freestyle... as in what you want rather than
'Freestyle©' ;) - this way everyone can bring in some great MOC's of what
they wish and can carry...  what do you guys think?

Personally I like the way we do our BUGS meetings. We have a theme, but
everything is always welcome. I find having a theme focusses me better. Being
told to bring "anything" means I probably bring nothing because I won't make >up my mind. Tell me specifically to bring a castle/spaceship/whatever, and I
probably will (slave to peer pressure that I am).

Fair enough, that's cool... But if there are a fair amount of people, I
kinda think more than 1 theme would be great.  I mean if Technic was
chosen.. definately forget me... I don't have enough (or as it is I have too
much ;)) and R2D2 would have to tag along then ;)... But I think if there
was atleast 2 themes, that would expand the ideas and choices?...

Kerry, I want you to bring along a Space Castle ;P - j/k

Me...
Richard Parsons
Kevin Hall
Ross Crawford
James Howse
Kerry Raymond )as below)
Michael Dallaston

Ah'm free, Mr Grainger!

Mr? I'm no Mr ;P  - haha that *was* a classic program.

The date is 10th June (weekend Sat 8th - Mon 10th June)

Oops I meant that's when the public holiday is... but the weekend being Sat-Mon.

Wouldn't we have the meeting on the Sunday 9th? I am assuming those in the
Tarrago will want to drive up Saturday and back on Monday? For those with
longer to spend in Brisbane, we can organise some other Lego-related
activities, e.g. shopping expeditions, etc.

Oh ja... early morning ;)... maybe some shopping first before everything
closes? before or after... no biggy... but organising some other
Lego-related stuff would be cool.

Kerry

Melopops