 Local / Australia / 8264
Re: 3033's (K-Mart) now $49.95 Aust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:24:03 GMT

Holy smokes! What is the current exchange rate?

About 2 A$ = 1 $US

I just got some of these
tubs via mail order discount from Target for $16 US.

But, yes, even with the exchange rate, you *do* get them cheaper in the USA and
you've been get them for a lot longer too. Generally Lego is cheaper in the USA
and also you get a lot more clearance sales where the prices are signficantly
discounted than we do. However, occasionally it works the other way. We got the
soccer sets in Australia for about half the price in the USA; we joked that
they got the currency conversion wrong because it appeared we were paying in A$
the same number as you were paying in US$, which means effectively 1/2 price
for us. And we get S@H prices cheaper than you guys, but then get screwed on
the shipping (it comes from Europe).

So, in Australia the "normal" price of the 3033 Blue Tub in KMart  is US$34.50.
KMart appear to have a monopoly on selling these blue tubs in Australia (I
certainly haven't seen them anywhere else in Oz), which might account for the
very high price. Because of the weight of this set, it's not likely to be an
economic proposition to buy them in the USA at a lower price and then post them
to Australia.

A couple of times last year, KMart had the tubs marked-down occasionally last
year briefly at a special sale price of US$20, which is when we all snapped
them up, not just the AFOLs, the mums and dads and kids were loading up the
trolleys too.

However, the tubs don't seem to sell too well at the regular price, which might
be why they are now appearing at a new regular price of US$25. Market forces
prevail!

Kerry