 Local / Australia / 7692
Re: Boxes, are they worth keeping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:10:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Since emerging from my Dark Ages, I have saved all of my Lego boxes,
although the contents end up in my parts drawers.

However, I am now drowning in boxes, and clearly some/all must go. My
questions are:

Do boxes really have a significant value, sufficient to justify their
occupation of space in my house?

Do boxes significantly contribute to resale value of a set? If so, do they
have a value on their own (without the set)?

If I was going to get rid of some boxes, which could go and which should be
retained?

Obviously, Lego boxes range from the simple cardboard cubes with glued-down
flaps to the deluxe boxes with display lids, internal structure etc. And my
boxes vary in quality; some (especially the ones with glued-down flaps) have
sustained damage during opening. Others are more pristine.

Also, it could be argued if I don't intend to sell the sets I buy (and I am
not an active seller), the boxes have no value whatsoever. Nonetheless I am
interested in what everyone else does with regard to boxes?

Hi Kerry,

I used to keep all my boxes. I recently realised they're just taking up
valuable brick-space, and did a major purge. I've kept the plastic insides from
my Silver Champ - it's useful when building new sets, you can open each bag &
empty each one into a different "bucket". And I've kept my really old boxes,
mostly for nostalgia, but also a couple of the old Technic accessory packs
actually had a photo of the set inventory on the outside.

I'm also not an active seller, though I'm just setting up a Brickbay shop, and
will be selling soon. If the boxes do have value, tough, I've decided it's not
worth the space.

YMMV

ROSCO