 Local / Australia / 7243
Re: Can someone explain Australian Lego Pricing to me?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:17:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Hi, calling from the UK.

Can you explain the Lego pricing for Australia on shop at home?

1. Do I presume they include no sales tax - or GST as you now have? As a side >question, is GST as well as VAT, or instead of VAT?  Do I assume the prices >are free of any tax, and that as other posts have implied you would be
responsible for any duty/tax on import?

GST at 10% isn't as strong as VAT at 17%

2. If you added in the appropriate taxes, how do the prices on shop at home >compare to the price for the same item in an
Australian store?

The prices on the site are (depending on which store) quite similar.  But
obviously in many cases to get a better deal you wait and spend up large
with the 20% off deals.  But also, these items are not actually here
physically in Australia so maybe that is why they can make it seem cheaper
in a sense, it will be us the consumer who will pay the shipping and not
Lego Australia.  The product here in Australia is obviously cheaper since it
already includes all the overheads into the price (GST and all).

But what exactly does the S@H's overheads include?  Most likely not shipping
to some degree since we pay that.  I think you'll find that there could be a
reason as to why they chose the Express shipping, does it benefit them?
Maybe... but it will if they think that it will take us to spend more to
make it more worth while.

Not only that but seriously how many Australian's will use this site to the
full with only 19 Million more of less people here?  I think we have a
chance that a lot of the stock will be sent to Online shoppers partically us
here and maybe a few runner by's and anyone else who will find out about
this now.

Don't forget Australia is part of another island that possesses some of the
cheapest Lego in the world, cheaper than Denmark even :P  -  So they say.

The prices for Lego on shop at home for Australia are significantly cheaper >than the UK, and the USA, and I was trying
to understand the reason. (seeing as Lego wont tell me!)

Maybe... maybe not... read above!

regards
lawrence

Mel