 Local / Australia / 6412
Re: OT: Italian tries Vegemite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:35:06 GMT

"Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Mario Ferrari writes:
All that talking about Vegemite one month ago made me curious, so I asked • my
Australian English teacher for more info.
Guess what? Yesterday she came at the lesson with some bread, butter and • a
jar of authentic Vegemite freshly received from her sister in Perth.

I actually like it, and I wonder why we don't have anything similar here.
It's expected to be a healthy food also, isn't it?

Should any of you guys ever come to Italy, please carry a large jar of
Vegemite for me :-)))

Here's something strange-- about two weeks into the jar of Vegemite Rosco
brought over for me, I went to have some (mind you I wasn't eating it • every day
but had had it several times) and suddenly it was like-- I don't know how • to
explain it-- a gustatory epiphany, I guess.  Like my taste buds had an • "aha!"
experience, and suddenly when I took my first bite that day, it was like, • "oh
yes, of course!"  I don't know how else to explain it, but I think it has
something to do with why children like the strangest foods if they've • grown up
on them (they just don't consciously remember the point of "aha!").  I • mean, I
liked it all right the first time I tried it, but it was still foreign--
suddenly it was different-- perhaps familiar-- I can't explain exactly. • Maybe
this has something to do with DaveL's Vegemite Zen.

I understand what you mean, but this experience is currently precluded to
me. I don't even know *when* I'll have the opportunity to taste Vegemite
again :-(
Maybe some int'l food stores on the net sells it, who knows...

BTW Mario, Happy Birthday!

Thanks a lot! I'm surprised you caught the date from the .people newsgroup
and rembered it associated with my name :-)

Ciao
Mario