 Local / Australia / 640
Re: What shall we call ourselves??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 23:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
There are several approaches to this question, some of us are trying to nail
down a logo which may (or may not) have a location reference in it. Also since
there is now a worldmap with pointers to local groups we might start asking
questions like...

Should we even bother organising (in terms of a .org at Lugnet or other such)
and naming ourselves?

Definitely, do you want a name pinned on us from elsewhere.
A location identifier in there would help easy recognition by others.

If so, an Australian group, East/West divide? North/South? By state or city?

Definitely an Australian grouping overall, then divide on state lines due to
numbers and distance. It's better than forming in each state and trying to
join up afterwards. A national group would give more strength/influence in
the activities we want to embark upon.

For those in (and around and not so around) the cumberland basin, i.e. Sydney,
Richard says in relation to the mention of you know where on the draft STUDS
logo;

I like it - don't know about Sydney tho' - there are a few of us one could
not really call Sydney-siders, no?

Is there another (short) option? NSW? (does this leave out Rachel?), East
Australia (too long and includes Bris/Melb.) Greater Sydney?

I'm sure someone from the ACT isn't going to quibble with a NSW moniker,
it's not like they have a team in crickets' Putrid Milk Cup.

I'm sure there are many other good questions to ask. Feel free to add them
(and answer 'em too).

Reply even if it's only to say we shouldn't bother with the name/.org thing,
if everyone says their piece then we might ge a consensus (or at least a vocal
minority vs. general apathy) i.e. democracy.

James. (who's kicking off the topic, let's see some input)

We definitely need a national group to try and generate interest in the
Lugnet threadbare states (SA,WA,TAS).

I'm fine with both the following.

pete.w

P.S. I like LUGOz, Lego Users Group Oztralia for the national group and
suggest STUDS - NSW LEGO Maniacs for us nearest Lane Cove.