 Local / Australia / 603
Re: 8448 Super Car -- a rave and a review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 22:13:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
After weeks of not having enough spare time, I finally built my 8448 Super
Car Mark 2. It was worth the wait. It is simply the best model I have built,
and I think it will be hard to beat, superb looks and nifty mechanicals.

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8448

How large is it when fully assembled ?

If you haven't had the pleasure, there's a working gearbox (5 forward, 1
reverse), working differential, rack-n-pinion steering (a nice long rack
too, useful for other projects), and a looks-like-its-working engine (you
have to add a motor -- not included -- if you want to actually have it
self-propelled). It looks divine, and the working convertible hood is so
much fun :-)

I like the technic trucks like the barcode truck and the tow-truck, do you
think a 'truck-head' would be impressed enough ?

In the interests of objective reviewing, what's not so good:

1. it costs heaps (and this is the only reason for not buying it IMHO)

2. the exhausts should have been chrome and not grey. I tried to simply swap
the grey sleeves for the chrome macaroni off the 5561 Bigfoot 4x4

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=5561

but sadly they are the wrong diameter and fell off too easily, so I had to
put the grey sleeves back on. I will need to do a bit more replacing of rear
parts to see if I can get my chrome exhausts to fit on.

Grey exhausts, is that common for Technic vehicles ?

3. I'd like to put someone in the driver's seat but I don't have a figure
anywhere near big enough. The biggest one I have is the fireman from the
8253 Fire Rescue Helicopter:

Those Technic dudes are pretty spindly chaps. From the look of their
'reconstructed' legs they must have ridden motor bikes.
Or you could use a Belville blonde woman and pretend she's Kylie Minogue
scale-wise.

but he looks like a 6-year-old at the wheel. I guess I'll have to try to
make a figure, but doubt I can make one smooth-enough looking to match the
beauty of the car.

Future plans. Apart from rebuilding the car to be right-hand drive (C'mon
Aussie C'mon), I plan to try to fit my RCX into it to enable remote control
of the engine and steering. Sadly I don't think it's possible to control the
gears from the RCX, but I'm open to suggestions. I can get hold of a second
(and perhaps even a third) RCX if the need arises, although at that rate,
you'd have to tow a trailer on the back of the 8448 to carry them all, which
might detract slightly from the glamour of the car :-)

You might have to start a conversion business adapting them for Australian
shelves.    ;^)

pete.w

If you are interested in buying an 8448, I have only seen them in
Myer(Brisbane CBD) and Toys'R'Us. I have never seen them discounted :-(

Kerry

Dr Kerry Raymond, Distinguished Research Fellow           kerry@dstc.edu.au
CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology       Ph: +61 7 3365 4310
University of Queensland 4072 Australia                Fax: +61 7 3365 4311