 Local / Australia / 608
Re: 8448 Super Car -- a rave and a review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 00:02:55 GMT

"Kerry Raymond" <kerry@dstc.edu.au> wrote in message
After weeks of not having enough spare time, I finally built my 8448 Super
Car Mark 2. It was worth the wait. It is simply the best model I have • built,
and I think it will be hard to beat, superb looks and nifty mechanicals.
If you haven't had the pleasure, there's a working gearbox (5 forward, 1
reverse), working differential, rack-n-pinion steering (a nice long rack
too, useful for other projects), and a looks-like-its-working engine (you
have to add a motor -- not included -- if you want to actually have it
self-propelled). It looks divine, and the working convertible hood is so
much fun :-)

Another interesting feature to note is that the construction is completely
modular. Each section of the car is almost completely separate from the
other sections. Big change for the 8880 / 8480 style, where everything is
built at once. Makes it easy to see just what each gear and axle does.

2. the exhausts should have been chrome and not grey. I tried to simply • swap
the grey sleeves for the chrome macaroni off the 5561 Bigfoot 4x4
but sadly they are the wrong diameter and fell off too easily, so I had to
put the grey sleeves back on. I will need to do a bit more replacing of • rear
parts to see if I can get my chrome exhausts to fit on.

Change the 'axle' type connector to a 'pin' type connector. That should do
the trick.

Future plans. Apart from rebuilding the car to be right-hand drive (C'mon
Aussie C'mon),

That takes all of 30 seconds. It's a bit easier if you remember to do it
while building the model. Try changing the 8880 to RHD. That's a lot more
tricky.

I plan to try to fit my RCX into it to enable remote control
of the engine and steering. Sadly I don't think it's possible to control • the
gears from the RCX, but I'm open to suggestions.

There are a few websites around in which people have done all the above
mods. Have a look around.

I can get hold of a second
(and perhaps even a third) RCX if the need arises, although at that rate,
you'd have to tow a trailer on the back of the 8448 to carry them all, • which
might detract slightly from the glamour of the car :-)

Make a new chassis made solely of RCX's. :)

If you are interested in buying an 8448, I have only seen them in
Myer(Brisbane CBD) and Toys'R'Us. I have never seen them discounted :-(

I saw some Australian online shop had them for A$200 once. Bargain. Also
available GB Sydney (city store).

Later,
David Drew