 Local / Australia / 610
Re: 8448 Super Car -- a rave and a review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 09:26:46 GMT

Another interesting feature to note is that the construction is completely
modular. Each section of the car is almost completely separate from the
other sections. Big change for the 8880 / 8480 style, where everything is
built at once. Makes it easy to see just what each gear and axle does.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I was very impressed with the modular
construction.

In constrast, the 8480 Space Shuttle which is the other set I'm building at
the moment doesn't have modular construction, just the usual bottom-top
approach, and at the end of it, I really didn't grok how the thing was
supposed to work. Also, the lack of modularity meant there was no testing of
the model until it was finished. Which is when I found that *nothing*
happened. So I then had to disassemble it substantially to find out what was
wrong. Dud wire from the battery box, incidentally, so I didn't need to
disassemble it at all :-(

So, modular construction means modular understanding and modular testing.
All good engineering principles!

I'm now wishing I had built the shuttle before the Super Car. I think I
would have been more impressed with the shuttle if I hadn't already had the
Super Car experience. There is a lot that's good with the shuttle by any
objective standard, but the Super Car lives it for dead in terms of:

* looks
* single "big vision"
* modularity
* solidity (if that's a word) of construction

Kerry

Dr Kerry Raymond, Distinguished Research Fellow           kerry@dstc.edu.au
CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology       Ph: +61 7 3365 4310
University of Queensland 4072 Australia                Fax: +61 7 3365 4311