 Local / Australia / 4850
Re: Train show info (was: Lego shanty-town)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:35:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Allan J. Smith writes:

Thanks... loc.nz is dead and I know of only 3 other AFOLs in all of NZ.

Maybe, with the Lugnet group re-org happening, the Australian and New Zealand
groups should merge.

Are those Belville quarter-circle base plates in the multi-story building in
pale yellow ?

Yes... from 5841, 5845 and a few 5835's

The building works well.

Any experiences/problems that you had with the variuous Taupo shows, that you
care to share, since we're planning a train show later in the year.

The expanding trellis for the crowd control works perfectly. I allow a metre gap between
layout and trellis so I can walk around and talk to the people and enables me to pick up
buildings etc. to show people the interior details. The layout size that I am happy
with is 2 sheets of 1200 x 2400 particle board end to end. This allows 2 loops to
operate as well as plenty of room for buildings and roads. Lots of action and lights
helps. (ie 2 train loops, 1 monorail loop, working level crossing with lights and
bells, Village People concert with lights and music from CD player, Ferris wheel
and spin ride controlled from a Technic Control Centre, vehicles with flashing lights)
I cover the particle board with green and/or blue bed sheets before placing the track,
roadplates and buildings. Lots of detail helps keep the crowd around too as they find
the small things like a cat in the rubbish bin, people in the public toilet, etc.

Apart from model railroaders, what other hobbies are on display ?

I have had no real problems and am automatically invited back to show each year.
The great thing about LEGO layouts is the ability to change it each year compared to
normal model train layouts.

Do many adults comment or is it mainly kids ?
Have any other unknown AFOLs turned up or do you mention Lugnet ?

pete.w