 Local / Australia / 437
    A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Benjamin Whytcross
   Just wondering if anyone has looked into what is involved in getting sets direct from LA. This could help us lower our costs if we could somehow get an account going with LA. I'm sure we could easily get the minimum amount of sales, and maybe this (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Peter White
     (...) Our NSW group keep talking about this. It's worth a formal approach I think, and our patronage deserves special privileges surely :^o I'm certainly willing to run it/get it started, but we will need to formalise the group a bit more (...ick). (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

         Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Peter Callaway
     (...) James Howse has already established that LA are not interested in retail sales, and unfortunately they'd classify us as retail, no matter how formalised we became. I think this proposal is a dead horse. I'm still going to work on the LEGO room (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    (...) Well, you also have a lot of Oz-friendly folks across various oceans who might be willing to help obtain certain items and keep the Balance of Lego Flow intact across the Pacific. ;) I could certainly do a little bit of boxing and shipping at (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Peter White
   (...) intact (...) Thanks Lindsay, I'm sure we would love access to some of the LSAH stuff, especially service packs etc. The new Adventurers sounds interesting too. We probably wanted to ask this before, but thought it would put people out. (...) (24 years ago, 1-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    (...) Nah, not on a small scale. BTW, the 7190 Millennium Falcon Jr. is shipping to stores now, and *all* 2000 Adventurers sets are now available, so they're open territory. (The MF hasn't shown up around here yet though.) (...) Sigh, can't bring (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Peter White
   (...) Shhhh...don't tell Pete.C...we're still recovering from the amazing run of sales down here....in two pay periods I think we'll all be itching to spend. The adventurers dino stuff looks like it will be a sure winner with kids and AFOL's alike. (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        PhDs in Architecture, Maritime Construction... (was: A possible way to get cheaper sets?) —Richard Parsons
     (...) Hmmmm. This is an interesting idea. We would obviously need an educational institution, handing out honorary degrees and doctorates to worthy and/or wealthy recipients. Lo! The smoke in my crystal ball is clearing! What's that I see in the (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

         Re: PhDs in Architecture, Maritime Construction... (was: A possible way to get cheaper sets?) —Peter White
     (...) ...and flogging for those not passing their exams. The fees could purchase new buildings for the campus. The bar would only serve rum. The islanders could look after the barbecue. Instead of those mortar board things at graduation, they could (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —David Low
   (...) I'm sort of looking towards a PhD myself, in social organisation. It would be looking at bees (or wasps or ants, but probably bees), playing around with them, and probably some (computer) modelling. "Lego, can you please sponsor my project (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —Peter White
   (...) A bee question... Dave Australian native bees don't sting, correct ? Do they counsel their attackers or are threats to them limited ? What do they think of all the Europeans in the country ? pete.w (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: bees (was Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets?) —David Low
     (...) Note: this is totally non-Lego. That's right Pete, Aus native bees are stingless. There are two types: solitary bees (that look sort of like bumble bees), and social bees. The social stingless bees are related to the northern hemisphere (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —David Drew
   note: TOTALLY off topic. :) (...) Unlike humans, 'cease and desist' letters from high-priced lawyers work remarkably well in the bee world, probably due to the highly structed nature of their societies. If hostilities do commence, AVO's have proved (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: A possible way to get cheaper sets? —David Low
   still totally off-topic (...) Maybe this could solve our Aus Lego shortage. Grind up all the ugly unsellable sets, mix them with pollen, put it out the front of some hives, harvest new bricks when the bees build their comb. Possible problems: not (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun)