 Local / Australia / 4080
Re: Who is behind this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:44:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Jason King writes:
I was looking at an Ebay auction and this was at the bottom:-

Have you heard of the new LEGO.au.com web site yet? Finally Australians will
be able to purchase sets online from Australia. Opening in mid - February
2001. I'll see you there!
www.lego.au.com

I don't know who it is, but I can see it ending in a brief crunchy squeak.
To quote from the site

"The Lego Group does not sponsor or endorse this site in any way. This site
is privately owned and operated within Australia."

Despite this they seem brazen enough to use LEGO (Trademarked, registered,
limited, exclusive, whatever) as a top level domain name. This isn't a
...com.au site it's a ....com site, indicating (supposedly) an
internationaly trading company. And you can guess who's already got
www.lego.com.au

In any case they are a long way over the fair use of name and fair play
guide lines that lego loves. Granted they're Australian and have an inherent
problem with authority, still it's not going to be pretty when Lego takes
exception to this use of their name.

If it's still going in Feb, don't expect anything spectacular, if it's run
from Au, that means limited set range (read availble in Au stores) or high
prices as sets are brought in from overseas.

Well that's my 3 and a half cents, the short of it? It'll end in tears.

James (who's a cynic sure, but finds it save time in the long run...)

P.S. If the persons behind this are lugnet readers/lurkers we'd love to hear
from you, help you stay up and running with a worthy selection at a
competitive price.