 Local / Australia / 2801
2800  |  2802
Subject:
building a bicycle -- can it be done?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 02:41:00 GMT

My husband (a keen cyclist) asked me if I could build a geared bicycle with
a derailleur using Lego. Your thoughts?

Obviously, I will need a fair bit of chain, but the new Power Puller may
solve that problem. The cluster will need to have at two slightly-different
sized gear wheels (I thought I'd start with just 2 gears!). I was thinking I
might be able to use a flex system to pull the chain between the gears and
use a spring suspension piece to keep the tension on the derailleur.

How would I get the bike to coast, or would the pedals have to turn with the
wheels?

And finally, I assume that the model would end up fairly large because of
the complexity of the chain and cluster. However, this will mean that I will
need to find really large wheels? What are the largest wheels around? Being
a bicycle, I'll be wanting relatively narrow tyres.

Note, I'm not building this yet, just thinking about it. I'm still building
my photocopier, but keep getting distracted by buying new sets.

Kerry

--
Kerry Raymond
kerry@dstc.edu.au