 Local / Australia / 2804
Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:37:08 GMT

The biggest problem you will find is that each LEGO Technic gear is one
brick wide, except for the smallest one which is slightly more than a brick
wide.  Set up four or five of these side by side and your bicycle is going
to look more like an overweight elephant should be using it!!  ;-)

The other problem, even if this first one could be overcome is how to
compensate for the sideways forces acting upon the chain links, they weren't
exactly designed to swing from side to side much.  Maybe enough for a small
amount of swing, given that you incorporate enough links into the chain, but
for one as large as five studs I would expect more than a few snapped or
broken links to result, unless using an unrealistically long chain.

I can quite imagine the gear part for the derailleur mechanism at the back,
though, that would be simple enough to do with a few Technic LEGO pieces.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Kerry Raymond <kerry@dstc.edu.au> wrote in message
My husband (a keen cyclist) asked me if I could build a geared bicycle • with
a derailleur using Lego. Your thoughts?

Obviously, I will need a fair bit of chain, but the new Power Puller may
solve that problem. The cluster will need to have at two • slightly-different
sized gear wheels (I thought I'd start with just 2 gears!). I was thinking • I
might be able to use a flex system to pull the chain between the gears and
use a spring suspension piece to keep the tension on the derailleur.

How would I get the bike to coast, or would the pedals have to turn with • the
wheels?

And finally, I assume that the model would end up fairly large because of
the complexity of the chain and cluster. However, this will mean that I • will
need to find really large wheels? What are the largest wheels around? • Being
a bicycle, I'll be wanting relatively narrow tyres.

Note, I'm not building this yet, just thinking about it. I'm still • building
my photocopier, but keep getting distracted by buying new sets.

Kerry

--
Kerry Raymond
kerry@dstc.edu.au