 Technic / 2141
Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 01:07:36 GMT

I have a solution for the coasting problem.  This method allows the wheel to
move without the pedals moving and even allows the wheels to move forward if
the pedals are moving backwards.

The pedals drive one axle of a differential.  The other axle of the
differential equiped with a ratchet so that it can only rotate in the
forward direction (the same direction as the axle coming in on the other
side).  The body of the differential drives the wheel.

The result of all this is that when the pedals move forward, the wheel must
turn.  When the pedals move backward, the alternative axle (the one with the
ratchet) will move leaving the wheel free to do as it pleases (the excess
speed will also be transfered to the alternative axle).  The same thing
happens if the pedals do not move.

That probably sounds confusing.  Trust me.  Build it.  You'd be surprised
what you can come up with using those differentials....

Enjoy.

                                    Grant Elliott