 Local / Australia / 2253
2252  |  2254
Subject:
UCS Tie-Fighter mini review.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:49:12 GMT

Hi,
  I had my UCS tie-fighter delivered yesterday. (Special thanks goes to
customs for ripping the box and losing a piece (Thank god I've got an 8462
which had an almost-perfect match)). Spent all afternoon putting the set
together, and is now sitting on my desk. It's scale is terrific, about 40cm,
by 25cm, and comes with its own handy display stand.

If you're a star wars fan, or really liked some of the other SW sets, then
you MUST get this set. It's extremely detailed, and makes the other SW
models seem very poor in comparison. The pilot's area is larger-than-minfig
size, smaller than technic, and it would probably fit a belville-fig nicely.

The pilot's canopy is all one piece, which is the only site of juniorisation
in the set. The canopy opens out, with a good interior.

It's a real Black plate service pack, too, with all four wings being a
double-thickness of black plates. The colour scheme's not perfect, with blue
being used to highlight the edge of the wings, but it's hard to think of
another colour that they could have successfully used.

As it is, a terrific set, a must-have for SW fans. I'll be hanging out
eagerly to get the X-wing. By all accounts, it's much better than the
tie-fighter, so it must be HOT.

later,
David Drew.

also, the set came with the 2000.2 catalogue inside. New to the catalogue
were the 'dino island' (No-one is saying Jurassic Park [tm] no no no...)
sets. The dino-figs were Triceratops, Stegosaurus, T-Rex (of course), and
flying dino (ask your kids what its name is. :) )

Also in the catalogue are the UCS sets and the Millennium Falcon. All the
new 'race' sets are in there, and they look pretty nifty, with very little
juniorisation. I'm not aware of the other lego themes, and what sets are
currently stocked, so I don't know what's new in the catalogue or not.

It's also got a half-page on the lego 5600 radio control set. Does anyone
know anything about this set? if the steering and drive mechanisms can be
separated out, so they can be put in MOC's, I'll be happier than a barrel
full of happy monkeys put inside a happy house!