 Local / Australia / 2203
Re: Best Buys of Technic in Aus?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:51:16 GMT

"Deidre Rushton Brumby" <drb@tasmail.com> wrote in message
news:Fxz9ru.J4E@lugnet.com...
A question for local Technic collectors (Kerry? David? Anyone else?)

What do you consider the best buys of the current range available in Aus?
(By current I don't necessarily mean this year's range but rather sets
that are still easily available in Australia, although this may amount
to the same thing).

Unless you do a lot of searching, like Paul B., and Ben W., this does amount
to the same thing.

Yeah, it's only July, but I'm thinking about Christmas already, hoping to
buy Mindstorms for then (I certainly need this amount of time to save up
for it!) and am interested in knowing which Technic sets would complement
this, or at least would form a good basis for a starter Technic collection
which isn't likely to get fully into swing for a few years yet (although
knowing me, once I get started...!)

If you can still find an 8480 in a TRU for $150, get it. Now. One of the
very best ever technic sets, for a great price. Ditto for the $160 (Kmart?)
8448's. The bonus for the 8480 is that it comes with a two motors (micro and
normal), plus a bunch of short and long 9v connectors, that make it a
brilliant addition to a Mindstorms set. Plus the fibre-ops. Both of these
sets come with a large variety of technic parts, of all types (old beams,
new beams, pins, gears, axles). Thus, because of their general lack of
specificity, make great add-on sets.

All the other sets that are currently available are pretty good, but aren't
anything that I would consider a 'best buy'. Don't buy any set with less
than about 300 pieces, like the roboriders / slizers / competition / speed
challenge. They aren't worth the time of day.

If you'd like a bit more interest, get the 8462, and add pneumatics to the
system. Then if you'd like a some more parts / versatility, you can start
looking around / ebaying for other sets that you like, though this isn't
nearly so cost-effective as buying new parts.

The two new technics sets due out later in the year, the power puller and
the silver champion seem to offer good sets to your collection, though I'll
need to see them first before I pass judgement. These are also likely to end
up quite dear.

I hope this helps.

later,
David Drew.