 Local / Australia / 1796
Re: Soccer tournament rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 01:40:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
Setting up the field

Any field to be used must have
two halves which are either
   mirror reflections of each other across the halfway line, or
   reflections of each other about the centre point of the field.

To be picky you might mean rotations about the centre point.

Hey hey, be picky to your heart's content!  Whatever floats your boat.
What's the difference in this case between a rotation about the centre and a
reflection through the centre?

Consider, a field, rectangular, with centre point C.
call one of the corners A and the other on the same short side B, like so.
A point on each of the long edges has also been named for clarity

A---a-----+---------X
|         |         |
|         C         |
|         |         |
B---b-----+---------X

reflection about centre line passing through C

A---a-----+-----a---A
|         |         |
|         C         |
|         |         |
B---b-----+-----b---B

however rotation about point C (180deg) gives

A---a-----+-----b---B
|         |         |
|         C         |
|         |         |
B---b-----+-----a---A

I guess, but all that player moving about must slow it down some, no?
Your idea would allow for much more realistically sized
fields, and make the game a lot more strategic.

That was the general idea. I don't know if it'd work though, that's why I
asked.

Anyone bought four or five fields and put them all together yet?

Ah, so that's why I haven't seen any on shelves...

Unfair? If you are familiar with the field, you don't get to place your guys
first.  The 'away player' gets to place his man first.  And then the home
captain kicks off the first half and the away player kicks off for the
second half.  Seems to me we're balancing a minor strategic advantage in the
familarity with the field against the opportunity to make a minor strategic
initiative in placing the first guy.  This is unfair because.....?

Cool, hadn't thought of it like that.

Play
I take it minfig weapons are banned, or at least asked to wait for
brickwars.

I like the idea of weapons appropriate to the team, you know, cutlasses for
pirates, muskets for privates.  Obviously there might be some difficulty
with that approach if someone wants to bring along a team from the Global
Thermonuclear Weapons Repository.  Have to think this one through a little
more......

I was wondering what sort of team to put together, since PeteW has already
snagged the nepean ninjas the G.T.W.R. team sounds fine.
And all those <set:1180> on special too!

James (who has already bought the entire supply of 1186 from Macquaire)