 Local / Australia / 1793
Re: Soccer tournament rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 00:44:45 GMT

"James Howse" wrote...
Have you found it necessary to include a ref?

When mucking about in friendlies, nope.  But you know these tournaments can
get plenty serious ;-)  And it seemd to me that at the next LegOz we will
not be short on bods, so refs shouldn't be too hard to come by.  The main
thing you want a ref for is sorting out goals when one of the forwards gives
it a good roost - did it go in or did it not?

Setting up the field

Any field to be used must have
two halves which are either
   mirror reflections of each other across the halfway line, or
   reflections of each other about the centre point of the field.

To be picky you might mean rotations about the centre point.

Hey hey, be picky to your heart's content!  Whatever floats your boat.
What's the difference in this case between a rotation about the centre and a
reflection through the centre?

Does the game work if there are unoccupied PUBs(1)? When the ball finds • one of
those, the person who didn't kick gets to move a player to an adjacent PUB
an then the other person moves etc, until someone moves onto the ball's • PUB so
they then get to kick it, play continues as normal?

I guess, but all that player moving about must slow it down some, no?
Conscious too that for someone to have a field of whatever size, they will
have enough of the sprung bases.  All you really need to be a captain is to
bring along a team with eleven players.  I doubt fields are going to be a
major problem.  Your idea would allow for much more realistically sized
fields, and make the game a lot more strategic.  Anyone bought four or five
fields and put them all together yet?

Setting up the players on the field
The captain whose field it is not shall be the first captain.
The first captain shall place his first player where he will.

This may be slightly unfair since I'd like to play but I won't be buying • until
after Aug (if at all). I.e. my team will always be playing away games...

Unfair? If you are familiar with the field, you don't get to place your guys
first.  The 'away player' gets to place his man first.  And then the home
captain kicks off the first half and the away player kicks off for the
second half.  Seems to me we're balancing a minor strategic advantage in the
familarity with the field against the opportunity to make a minor strategic
initiative in placing the first guy.  This is unfair because.....?

Better ideas......?

Play

I take it minfig weapons are banned, or at least asked to wait for
brickwars.

I like the idea of weapons appropriate to the team, you know, cutlasses for
pirates, muskets for privates.  Obviously there might be some difficulty
with that approach if someone wants to bring along a team from the Global
Thermonuclear Weapons Repository.  Have to think this one through a little
more......

Richard
Still baldly going...

Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/