 Local / Australia / 1784
1783  |  1785
Subject:
Soccer tournament rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:35:43 GMT

Just looking up the link for Jamie in that last post jogged my memory on
some of the issues we were discussing in respect to the rule set for the
soccer tournament at LegOz 2000.5 in August.  I have provided a quick
summary of what is to me a sensible set.  You'll note that it also deals
with the thorny question of layout and man placement.

General

  Each game shall require three people,
    one captain for each team, and
    one referee

  The two halves of the game shall be 5 minutes.

  The half time change being accomplished by
    the two captains swapping ends and
    the field being rotated.

Setting up the field

Any field to be used must have
  two halves
  which are either
    mirror reflections of each other across the halfway line, or
    reflections of each other about the centre point of the field.

If either captain brings an eleven a side field to the game, use it.

If both captains bring an eleven a side field, a coin shall be tossed.

If there is no eleven a side field, run the previous two steps for 10, 9 etc

Setting up the players on the field

The captain whose field it is not shall be the first captain.

The first captain shall place his first player where he will.

Then the second captain shall then place his first player in the place
opposite the player already placed (opposite being in the same place
at the other end of the field, having regard to the symmetry of the field).

The second captain shall then place his next man where he will.

These last two steps are then repeated turn and turn about until both
captains have placed players in all the open spaces.

Play

For the first half, the first captain shall kick off, by starting the ball
with
his player closest to the centre point of the field.

For the second half, the second captain shall kick off, by starting the
ball with his player closest to the centre point of the field.

Kicking out over the sideline results in a throw in, by starting the ball
with the opposing player closest to where the ball went out.

Attackers kicking out over the backline results in a goal kick, by
starting the ball with the goalie.

Defenders kicking out over the backline results in a corner kick, by
starting the ball with the attacking player closest to the corner.

Goals are accomplished when the ball breaks the line of the goal, as
seen by the referee.

The Goalie can move in anyway consistent with the movement allowed
by the TLC field goalie mount.

A Goal results in a kick off by the non-scoring side.

Or not, obviously

Richard
Still baldly going...

Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/