 Local / Australia / 1406
Re: New 2000.2 catalogue - sexism rules OK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 07:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

So says a man :-) Unless you are on the receiving end of sexism, you
probably don't notice it as much. I'm on the receiving end a lot, and so I
am somewhat hyper-sensitive. For example, mail and e-mail sent to me by
<snipped>

Well said Kerry.  As well as the above professional sexism I've also
seen it from another side, the "you're just a lowly housewife" side.
I come across this attitude almost daily and from all sorts of people,
whether I'm buying Lego or groceries, or at a seminar or social event.

I've temporarily left my IT career to spend some
time being an at home Mum before my son starts school, I've been home
for 2 years now but still keep in touch with my profession such as going
to evening industry seminars with my husband who is also in the same field.
These are attended mostly by men who all assume I'm "just the little wife
with no brains and can't possibly know how to even turn on a computer" and
if they condescend to talk to me at all it's to make little patronising
comments. Heaven forbid if I offer something to a conversation, the reaction
to this varies greatly, I shan't go into the gory details, I'm sure you
can imagine.

Have you tried walking into a shop, wearing a tracksuit, no makeup, hair
in a pony tail (toddler optional) and tried getting assistance purchasing
an "expensive" item such as a large Lego set?  This is probably more
money-ism than sex-ism, I've actually had shop assistants look me up and
down and say out loud "you can't possibly afford that" with the "you're not
worth my time and effort" look.  I'm contrasting this with memories of
shopping whilst at work , suitably attired, and they can't help you enough.

My husband and I tried a little experiment earlier this year after we'd
found out that Myer had decided to keep the then new Lego  2000 catalogs
behind the counter and only give them to people who actually purchased Lego
(I believe the problem stated was that kids were walking off with handfuls
off the shelves and they kept running out).  I always get 2 catalogs, 1 to
keep for the collection and 1 to drool over and write on.

Hubby went in alone, on lunch break, suit and tie and went up and asked for
a catalog without making a Lego purchase.  He was cheerily given one by
the male shop assistant along with the explanation for keeping them behind
the counter.

A short time later I went in, casually dressed, 4 year old in tow and bought
a set (I think it was the 6474).  I was served by the same assistant, and
asked for a catalog.  I was told "they're not out yet".  I said that they
were and he said "no they're not even printed".  I said I'd seen one and he
said "well, they're not in here yet".  Yes they are, a friend of mine got
one from here, says I.  "No, can't of, must have been somewhere else".
It was definitely here, says I. "Oh well, we've run out then". And he
turned and walked off.

Just to prove a point, I returned a little later, sans small child, and
got one with a bit of effort out of a female shop assistant, without
another purchase.

This is a true story and as you can imagine, it took days for me to
stop fuming about it.  (There's a little smoke coming from behind the
ears as I type even now, months later).

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com