 Local / Australia / 1344
Re: New 2000.2 catalogue - sexism rules OK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:26:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

As to the 'sexist' text....I'm not sure if this is correct, but from my
own
observation, boys seem to have a fascination for mechanical devices
[including vehicles] and like to use tools like their Father's do, whereas
girls in general don't seem to be interested in this.

I wouldn't say that's so much so. At least not with me. True, I don't like
technic, but I AM fascinated with machinery and technology. Just not in the
lego context.
And maybe I am alone about this... but I don't think so.

So says a man :-)
<snip>

Yeah. My parents are both doctors (in the Ph.D. sense, not the american M.D.
sense), yet we constantly receive mail addressed to "Dr. and Mrs. Dori". My
parents split the house jobs, with us helping a little; my dad does the dishes
and cleans the floors.

In own observation and experience, girls don't get much opportunity or
encouragement in developing their technical interests. It's one of those
chicken-and-egg situations. If you look at the gifts people buy for young
children, you will see that they buy different toys for girls and boys. Long
before the children themselves are probably capable of expressing
preference, they are being "taught" to be girls or boys by adults who are
already "programmed".

Exactly. Kids (girls and boys) will often *like* what they are showed in early
years. I had a friend in kindergarten, Michael, we both used to play with "my
little horsies" ("girl toys"), and sometimes even Barbie.

-Shiri "yes that's a girl's name" Dori