 Local / Australia / 131
Re: aust. customs and duty, lego & GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:03:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
<SNIP>>
Not necessarily. I've priced Antwerp to Australia (with a layover in
Singapore) and it's quite respectable.

God bless the silk road, I can see it now, a caravan of camels carrying sandy
wind blown boxes of Lego on their humps. Oh no wait, someone invented a flying
machine a hundred years ago.

This yet again surprises me, becaause A) Surely there are more frequent
connections to America and B) the distance to America is Shorter.

<SNIP>
Hmmm... maybe I knew that someone may think that, so I increased it to give an
artificially high P/O margin, in which case you'd overestimate our M/U, giving
you a false sense of security. Or perhaps, thinking you might twig to this, I
dropped it, so you'd drop it again under the mistaken assumption that I'd
actually increased it, so you'd underestimate our M/U, sending you into a
pricing panic. Ohhhhhh, mindgames in the construction industry! The conspiracy
of it all!!!!

Peter you can keep the espionage filled double crossing world of Estimating
all too yourself now. I'm safely in a position undertaking research into new
technologies here, very removed from the Tendering department now. But still
in uni Student mode nonetheless.

<SNIP>

I'm sure you can, and that was one of my last points. The figure I worked up
has a US retail profit margin AND an Australian retail profit margin, plus
factored in overheads for both retailers. US$29.99 is MSRP (US equivalent of
RRP, IIRC - arggg... too many acronyms). Wholesale would make my worked up
price even cheaper!

Yeah tell me about acronyms. And the im sure the acronym FAQ isn't actually
helping make it simpler.

<SNIP>
BTW..what is set 7140?

Star Wars X-Wing Fighter. C'mon Santosh, you know my LEGO taste by now, you
should have twigged that it was *something* Star Wars ;-)

Actually I had figured Star Wars but I wanted it checked. Actually I did rip
my X-wing apart and back into its box on sunday, so that compunds my error.
For me when I see 7XXX I immediately think of 12V trains. 7740 being the
centrepiece of my 12V train collection.

Bucket loads!!! I'm still thinking of moving to Canada where there are reports
of LEGO pieces washing up on the beaches from the container ship which sunk a
couple of years ago. Some maths guru calculated that pieces will be washing up
for the next 20 years or so.

Thats not that same ship that had a container full of yellow bathtub ducks is
it?
quack quack