 Local / Australia / 123
122  |  124
Subject:
aust. customs and duty, lego & GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:59:12 GMT

Today i called the Aust customs to find out about duty and tax rates for
buying goods from out side the country. hears the lowdown;

any item valued at over A$50 is subjected to a tax of 32.7%. if an item costs
A$100 and costs A$20 for p&h then the cost will be: $100 + $20 + $32.70 (32.7%
of $100) = A$152.70.

i asked about how the gst will affect things so here goes.
The same item for the same postage goes like this;
=($100(item) + 5% duty + $20 postage)+ 10% GST
=($100 + $5 + $20)+ 10% GST
=($125) + 10%
=$125 + $12.50
=$137.50

This info i got could explain why the coast of lego is aust is higher than
other countries