 Local / Australia / 128
Re: aust. customs and duty, lego & GST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:52:09 GMT

WOW!!

This is fascinating.

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
<SNIP>
LEGO is shipped in bulk, so $20 p&h is a bit steep for each set. I can get a
40 foot sea container shipped from the US to Australia for about $7,000.
That's 72.5 cubic metres of volume. Take an average box size of say 30cm x
25cm x 7cm, and applying an 85% bulking and storage factor (that's real
generous), that's room for 11,740 sets, or about $0.60 per set. OK, ad a few
dollars for packing and unpacking the container.

Bear in mind that our Lego gets shipped from Europe I believe, although there
was talk of plan for a factory in Asia (perhaps Korea?) for Lego Products. I
thought I remember seeing this on LEGO's Press release quite a few years ago.

If the containers do indeed come from Europe the cost would be even greater
then.

So if I buy 11,740 sets of 7140 (comparable size to set dimensions quoted) in
the US for MSRP of US$29.99, that's AUD$576,240 (after converting using
USD$0.611 = AUD$1.00). Multiply by the duty and you get $764,670. Add $7,000
for shipping, $4,000 for packing/unpacking the container and $20,000 for
distribution of the sets ($24,000 worth of labour which is about 750 man hours
(based on $32/hr which includes all on-costs), or 3.6 minutes per box), you
have a total cost of $795,670. Factor that by sat 128% for profit and

Hope you're not giving something away there Peter ;)
Surely you'd be able to get some type of bulk buying discount. Is that $29.99
quoted the wholesale or retail price?

overheads and you get $1,018,460 all up. Divide that by 11,740 sets gives you
.... AUD$86.75. Wow! 7140 RRP's for AUD$87.95! Of course there are two retail
profit margins in here, which is not the real case, but that's not bad, if I
do say so myself. OK, bump the distribution man hours up a bit and it'll be
spot on.

Retailers dont surely try to squeeze in extra profit margins!<g>

So we can blame the government (again) for these rediculous tariffs and the
price of LEGO! I thought tariffs were to protect local industries. I don't see
any local industries making LEGO. Now if this tariff goes down to 5%, with a
10% GST, that will make my 7140 set estimate price AUD$76.30. Lets see what
happens after July 1, shall we?

Maybe the tariffs are there to protect the importers of crappy plastic Made in
China toys. Actually when you think Toy's, no Australian company jumps at all
do they?

BTW..what is set 7140?

If I rounded up some Ninja minifigs and hijacked the container in darkness, we
could save a lot of money.