 Local / Australia / 12226
Re: Roo Mech - entry for The Great Breathe Life Into .loc.au competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:36:23 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Tobias Möller wrote:
   Great job, it has a lot of personality! It is very kangaroo-like. It does not appear to be heavily armed though, but maybe equipping it with huge rocket launchers, missile racks and a railgun would detract from the main theme. Can’t help but wonder what it would look like packing assault rifles though ;)

There are sound reasons for that which are detailed in the backstory that I may or may not get around to writing at some point.

Great choice of color too - while one perhaps would choose tan or brown for this, red does not look too off (like for example blue would have), it still looks natural, while it is bright enough to make a great eye-catcher. The bright red color immediately reminded me of anime, along with a lot of other things in this model - the tail, the nose (well, the entire head, in fact), and in particular the hips, with the round satellite dishes.

Sand red would look good too, but I don’t have the parts selection in any of those colours. I like red.

   The only thing which doesn’t really do it for me is the feet - I feel they should perhaps have been tapered, going from 4 at the ankle to 5 or 6 wide at the toes, but it’s hard to get a good, smooth taper on such long objects. It’s a minor detail, but the feet left me feeling like a little something was missing.

5 or 6 stud wide feet would be too much I think, although it may fit with the exaggerated proportions of the rest of the model. If you look at a roos legs they are really quite slender. Making them wider may make them look a bit too much Bugs Bunnyish.

But apart from that, an excellent, creative idea, executed very well. I mean, come on, a kangaroo mech - it’s such a simple, yet genius idea I’m amazed no one has thought of it before. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Allister