 Local / Australia / 12216
Re: Roo Mech - entry for The Great Breathe Life Into .loc.au competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:54:32 GMT

Great job, it has a lot of personality! It is very kangaroo-like. It does not appear to be heavily armed though, but maybe equipping it with huge rocket launchers, missile racks and a railgun would detract from the main theme. Can’t help but wonder what it would look like packing assault rifles though ;)

Great choice of color too - while one perhaps would choose tan or brown for this, red does not look too off (like for example blue would have), it still looks natural, while it is bright enough to make a great eye-catcher. The bright red color immediately reminded me of anime, along with a lot of other things in this model - the tail, the nose (well, the entire head, in fact), and in particular the hips, with the round satellite dishes.

The only thing which doesn’t really do it for me is the feet - I feel they should perhaps have been tapered, going from 4 at the ankle to 5 or 6 wide at the toes, but it’s hard to get a good, smooth taper on such long objects. It’s a minor detail, but the feet left me feeling like a little something was missing.

But apart from that, an excellent, creative idea, executed very well. I mean, come on, a kangaroo mech - it’s such a simple, yet genius idea I’m amazed no one has thought of it before. Thanks for sharing!

--Tobias