 Local / Australia / 11558
11557  |  11559
Subject:
LUGnet -- home at last
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:23:53 GMT

Ah, the bliss, the joy of a working LUGnet via NNTP!

Ever since the DoS attack on LUGnet's NNTP default port, I've been living in
an almost LUGnet-free zone, as I live in Fortress DSTC, whose firewall
wouldn't allow me to access LUGnet via NNTP using other ports. At the same
time, work went absolutely ballistic for weeks on end, so I barely had time
to sleep (I'm not kidding I was working from about 5am to 9pm most days, I
was ready to drop from exhaustion) let alone muck around with trying to
access LUGnet through the WWW. Then I was out of Brisbane for most of
October, missing all the Lego sales apparently.

Net result. Not much LUGnetting for me lately. Not much Lego-ing either.

However, things are now looking up. I have now got the firewall allowing me
to access LUGnet via NNTP. Meanwhile I am back in Brisbane (well mostly,
apart from going to Adelaide later this week) and work has slackened off
from ballistic to merely frantic. Even better I managed to get my hands on
one of those Dragon Fortresses for $89 at Myer and built it on Saturday, my
first chance to build anything in months.

The Dragon Fortress is quite an impressive set. Although I despair of where
I'm going to store the baseplate, the rest of it is top quality parts in
excellent colours, all worthwhile additions to the permanent collection.
Design wise, it looks rather good, but I find the upper floor a bit flimsy
though; the tall bricks make for a fast build but they tend to lack the
structural integrity of a traditional overlapped brick wall, rendering it
vulnerable to pressure at certain angles. I fear it might not survive the
Richie Swooshability Test. Also the mechanism to hold the rear door in place
(the thing that holds the entombed warrior or whatever he is) seems  a bit
dodgy, sometimes it latches the rear door section closed, sometimes not.
It's kinda complex for the entry to an underground car park :-) or dragon
park, as the case may be.

Kerry

--
Dr Kerry Raymond, Distinguished Research Leader
CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology