 Local / Australia / 10334
  FIRES

Hiya all..... just leting you all know that Andrea and I are safe where we are on the Central Coast NSW..... and just seeing if everyone else around Sydney is OK with all these fires..... nothing but smoke and ash where we are.. and all transport to (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Well that is just great to know Kev and Andrea! Shame you still have to breathe it in though, bad enough when they back burn here :( It's a shame our poor country has suffer such a loss like this (and others), nature wise, health, home and (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) It's a shame that environmentalists who don't know what they are talking about pressure the government into banning backburning. The Aboriginals used to backburn all the time precisely to avoid these kind of fires. Without it, a lot of fuel (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Hear Hear...though I think you'd find that if they lived in the affected areas, they'd suddenly have a change of heart and agree back burning was a good idea. Benjamin Whytcross (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

In lugnet.loc.au, Stephen Hurn writes: <snip> (...) Really? "...precisely to avoid these kind of fires"? I thought that it was generally to drive game into the open.... Richie (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Who are you getting angry with? if it is what I said above, then diddums, I was just feeling sorry for those who lost their homes or lives... I wouldn't wish it to be me! I can understand back burning, but it is very difficult when you have (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) I was getting angry just thinking about the legislation to stop backburning to prevent these fires, not with anything you said. (...) I can truly sympathise, and I know people who do have terrible athsma. My own sister used to get athsma (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Nonetheless, it *did* prevent these kind of fires. Whatever their motivation, the environment grew used to it, and dependant on it. Now that the smaller fires are gone, the environment doesn't know what to do! (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Phew!!! just as well then :) hehe yeah... (...) That is sad to hear! :( apparently up to 80% of children these days (in Australia) are getting asthma or a form/type of asthma due to environmental issues (and crap that is in our foods) some (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Well she doesn't seem to suffer from it any more. Her pnuemonia was around 13 years ago, and I think as she's gotten older, her airways have become far less contracted and have kept her more or less athsma free. (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) Hope you're feeling better...I know what Asthma can be like as my wife has spent quite a while in hospital with asthma...at one stage for about a year it was 1-8 nights in hospital every 6 weeks or so. Benjamin Whytcross (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: FIRES

(...) <SNIP> (...) That sounds about right...though whether the asthma increase is caused by "environmental issues (and crap that is in our foods)" or due to the fact that children are being kept too clean and safe[1] is still unknown. There is also (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.au)