 Local / Australia / 10342
Re: FIRES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 04:55:41 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Stephen Hurn writes:
<snip>
The Aboriginals
used to backburn all the time precisely to avoid these kind of fires.

Really? "...precisely to avoid these kind of fires"? I thought that it was
generally to drive game into the open....

Richie

Nonetheless, it *did* prevent these kind of fires.  Whatever their
motivation, the environment grew used to it, and dependant on it.  Now that
the smaller fires are gone, the environment doesn't know what to do!