 Local / Australia / 10286
Re: Welcome! (was: Nuva make retail)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:53:36 GMT

You're lucky it's spy-sized. Target generally take a large exception to
anyone photographing in their stores.

Not just Target. I've had stores stop me from taking photos. In my case, it was
of furniture. The reasons for this are not clear to me, "store policy" was the
excuse given. Other people have told me similar stories, so now if I take a
camera into a store, I try to be very discrete (meaning a compact camera not
the full SLR job).

I guess I can understand stores not wanting competitors to come in and record
all their prices to beat/match them, but photographing goods would not seem to
be a particularly useful way to record prices. I would use a dictaphone or palm
pilot if I was serious about price recording. Indeed, when I've been in a toy
shop with lots of good prices, I sometimes use my mobile to call my mobile so I
can use my voice mail to record this kind of information so I have it handy to
post to LUGnet later.

When I've photographed goods (or tried to), it's generally been to show to some
friend or relative who I think might be interested in buying it, i.e. a
potential customer. You would think this would be considered a good thing by
the store!

Lets face it, the recent photos of Bionicles in <whatever store it was>
probably caused some of you Bionicle-lovers to make a shopping expedition to
that chain of stores to get your Nuvas.

Does anyone know why stores are so anti-photography?

Kerry