 Local / Australia / 10285
Re: BigW sales + other things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:42:26 GMT

They even had trouble moving Enchanted Islands at $44, Australians don't know
a bargain when they see it.

Frankly, we seem to be awash with some great prices on sets in the last year.
Like Matthew, I am now kicking myself for buying the Sopwith Camel at S@H at a
much higher price a few months back, but I really didn't expect to see these
so-called S@H exclusives  being available discounted in Oz retailers within
only a few months. Indeed, I was not sure we'd ever see these sets retail at
all, let alone in Oz. How much longer before the Red Baron arrives at retail?

Generally I don't buy sets from S@H if I expect them to be sold retail, as with
a Coles Myer shareholder card and a bit of patience for a X% off Lego sale, I
can generally pick things up cheaper locally. I mainly go to S@H for bulk packs
and "exclusives" which I can't get any other way.

The other thing that I find curious is that we are now in the pre-Christmas
season (I know this because every store has been playing Christmas carols since
1 Nov!). I am old enough and cynical enough to have observed over the years
that pre-Christmas "sales" rarely have any real savings involved, as it is the
best sales quarter of the year anyway, especially for things like toys. Yet,
both last year and this year, we have seen some massive discounts on some
relatively expensive Lego sets in the pre-Christmas period. Last year I recall
the Silver Champions at $199 at Myer as well as the just re-released Pirate
sets (Imperial Armada, RBR and Enchanted Island) at KMart all at good prices.
This year, we've seen the Technics crane at Myer, UCS XWing at KMart, etc. I'm
not complaining but it's throwing my understanding of pre-Christmas retailing
on its head. I can perhaps understand the older sets (like the UCS XWing now
is) being discounted, but what about the Technics crane at Myer? The first time
it appears in store it's $100 off!

Oh well, spend up and build on!

Kerry