 LEGOLAND / Billund / 39
Re: Anyone for Legoland Billund this summer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 21:13:49 GMT

Hi Cary,

this summer will be my fourth visit to Billund. Previous visits were in '80,
'82, '94. We saw the hotel prices and are definitely looking for a cheaper
option...

My visit to Denmark is half-structured (a bicycle tour of Zealand) and
half-unstructured (get a rental car and drive around).
I guess you mean Sjælland, the island that Copenhagen (Köbenhavn) is on?
Here in the Netherlands we also have a Zealand (Zeeland), which is the one
that New Zealand was named after....

My wife already
knows that my agenda is to try to discover toy stores in small towns
that haven't been plundered to death. • So we'll be competitors.... ;-)
We took a tour of Ireland a couple
of years ago before my current legomania but we didn't see any toy
stores in the little villages and I would have noticed. Ireland and
Denmark have roughly similar populations so I'm not getting my hopes up,
much.
You're forgetting two things here: until some five or six years ago Ireland
was one of the poorest countries in Europe. People had more serious stuff on
their minds than expensive toys. Denmark has always been one of the
wealthier countries in Europe. Also, Denmark is of course where it all
started.....

We won't be taking any big ferry rides so I doubt I'll get a chance at
those sets. Any must-visit towns or toy stores? We'll spend a fair
amount of time in Copenhagen.
Go and see Helsingborg, the Hamlet-castle. There's a cool Viking-museum in
Roskilde (30km outside Copenhagen). Jutland (the peninsula that Billund is
on)isn't very interesting. Møn's Klint is beautiful; white cliffs, a bit
like Dover (but much better scenery around it). Odense (on the island of
Fyn)is a nice town as well.
If you can afford the time I'd recommend Stockholm. It's a fair drive, but
it's a spectacular city.

Also, what's your experience with English in Denmark? Is it possible to
get by in English, or does most of the population speak only Danish?
You'll find that 90% of people speak perfect english. Maybe in the tiny
villages with mostly older people you might have a problem.

I'm not sure if you like alcohol, but please beware that alcohol in
Scandinavia is ridiculously expensive. Bring as much as you can yourself....

Where are you from anyway?

Cheers!

Duq