 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4876
Re: Absurd price differences at LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:03:50 GMT

"Lester Witter" <witter@erim-int.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

The issue might have to do with taxes. There are no VAT or in most cases • sales
taxes (for mail order purchases) in the US. I also think corporate income • tax
is lower. In spite of all the complaining some people do in the US, we • have the
lowest rate of taxation of all of the "western" countries.

In part yes.
Lego prices in Europe include VAT.
VAT is levied in the country where you purchase - not where you reside.
But VAT is not uniform across Europe.
In the UK the rate is 17.5%, wheras in Denmark, where Lego Direct ship from,
it is 25%.
I presume the shop at home prices therefore include 25% VAT. But this isn't
clear (I dont have a Lego receipt to hand) - on the website it jus says
"Pricing includes appropriate VAT".

However, it is not this simple, as many (most) Lego prices in Europe do
*not* include a significant mark up over US prices.
e.g. A Metroliner at $149 is 99GBP or 154Euro - which is a straightforward
conversion at current exchange rates. In fact, if you remove the tax
element, this means Lego products are in reality cheaper in Europe.

The Spybotics sets therefore stand out as being a straight pounds for
dollars price, as opposed to being converted at the proper rate.

Lawrence