 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4514
Re: Sneak Preview of the NEW LEGO® Island Xtreme Stunts!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 05:59:32 GMT

William R Ward wrote:
#6735 Air Chase - Snap Locket is hot on the Brickster’s tail!

Looks like the plane uses sideways click hinges to hold the wings on.
That's a new part, I think.

It's been in use for over a year. I think it was introduced in Life On
Mars.

But a swingwing seaplane?  That's kind of silly...

I haven't found a good picture yet to reference, but the Japanese had a
sub in W.W.II which carried a seaplane inside with it's wings folded
(they actually rotated into the vertical plane, and then swung back if I
recall. Air and Space Magazine had a nice article on them within the
past year). I'm not quite sure from the picture if the wing actually
folds all the way back. They may also just be using the hinge to get a
raked wing.

As Larry has said about trains, that one can almost always find a
prototype for any bizarre thing which one would immediately claim is
non-prototypical, it's probably even more likely to happen with
aircraft.

Frank