 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3569
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:44:23 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Salm writes:
Instead, I want to see NEW selections that are based upon
the spirit of old sets.

For example: lets take set 6385 Fire House 1 from 1985 -->
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6385
Using all of the unique and special pieces that came with this set, the
Lego set designers can create a new product.  Use a different baseplate,
modify the vehicles, and give the building a facelift to produce a new
and different Lego set.  It could even be named Fire House 2.

Will it be a re-issue of the original -- NO.
Will it capture the spirit of the original -- Yes, I hope.
Will it have all of the key pieces of the original -- Yes.
Will it be a Legend -- No, it will be a brand new selection.

Why do this?? Why not!!
Re-issuing Lego sets and calling them Legends or Classics seems to
be taking the easy way out.  I see no reason why today's Lego set
designers cannot create stimulating and appealing Lego sets based
upon the quality Lego sets of the past.  But do not simply copy
them--make them even better!!!

This is a bad idea.  If you don't stay close enough to the original, AFOL's
will not like the set.  If you don't Juniorize some of these sets enough, it
won't be cheap enough to sell to kids (with parents who aren't AFOL's) at
your local TRU.  Instead, these kids/parents will buy more Megablocks
because they're buying more on price than quality.

In the end, if you compromise too much, you'll make everyone unhappy.  Kids
today want flashy characters and sets, not "classic" designs with minifigs
that have plain smiley faces.  Ledgends are purchased primarily by AFOL's
and changing the sets too much will upset them to the point that they won't
buy the set.