 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3570
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Steve Demlow writes:
One specific case that was mentioned but not discussed further is that of
classic space helmets.  Would a Galaxy Explorer with the newer-style,
swept-back space/town helmets have the same "feel", or do the more retro-70s
bullet-type helmets add to the nostalgia rating?

My suggestion was to use the newer-style space/town helmet with a clear
visor.  The old, non-visor, helmets are a more retro look, but they were
*very* fragile.  I think less than half of my old style helmets survived.
The thin piece below the minifig's chin always broke in the middle.  Some
broke in two spots, making them completely unusable.

The classic space minifigs that I still have are too valuable to play with,
so getting a new set without the old helmets really doesn't affect the
playability of the set.  The availability of all the cool gray plates, wing
pieces, engines, and etc. in Galaxy Explorer will keep this set a classic,
even without the old space helmets.

I am also very curious whether the "classic" windows are a potential obstacle
to any set reproduction, although realistically the percentage of sets that
contain them and would serious contenders for reproduction is probably
relatively small.

I'd be curious about this as well.