 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3568
Re: What makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:57:23 GMT

Hurrah - I totally agree if one piece should be brought back this is it.
unfortunately what people seem to have forgotten is that the visors on the
knights in the yellow castle have probably also gone and they are kinda
integral to the feel of the whole set.

wasnt the old style helmet rejigged a little at one point to make the chin
strap thicker and stronger anyway??

--
James Stacey
---------
www.minifig.co.uk

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GLqCI0.3B4@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Findley writes:
  No old style TV antenna on the top of the mini-base.

Yeah, I don't think of that one as a big loss in the age of cable, unless
you were going for that 1950s-1970s look in a town MOC or something.

  No crater plate.

Actually, the crater plate probably exists.  See this 1996 set in the
database: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6190

  No old style helmets (they broke regularly anyway, so just replace • them
with the appropriate color newer style "Town motorcycle" helmet and use a
clear visor to mimic the look of the old helmet).

Actually, this is one element I'd like to see back again -- along with the
visors for the #375 yellow castle.  In my experience (admittedly • anecdotal),
these helmets do not break (I really wonder at the reputation of this
element on this point too), and I'd love to see the classic space and • castle
stuff come back again.  Perhaps the ubiquity of this helmet element in the
older sets justifies it's being put back into production for the Legend
line.  It could serve in the rerelease of many sets and therefore also
justify its cost of manufacture.  AND, if people are really worried about
the chin strap breakage issue -- maybe the element could be re-engineered • to
add an extra thickness of ABS at the stress points there.

This is a win-win issue for space- and castle-heads alike.  I say let's • get
this element back into production!  Galaxy Explorer now, Yellow castle • later...

  No old style wheels with metal axle.  This is no big deal, just
substitute modern parts that still let the vehicle fit in the cargo bay • of
the ship.

I don't think anyone cares about the metal axle wheels -- that seems • almost
unanimous unless I missed someone's post.

-- Hop-Frog