 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2994
Re: From Mike Walsh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 17:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Kevin Wilson writes:
were answered as "we are aware of the irregularities in the line, we are
looking to expand it. There is an upper limit on the total number of items
we can offer at one time. We also are constrained by needing to leverage
what is in production already to get the parts that comprise the pack"

Uh oh. That sounds to me like, to get new stuff in they are going to have to
drop some existing stuff out (once the limit is reached, whatever it is).
IOW, buy what you need before it disappears, and if you don't realise you
need it till it's gone, bad luck :-(

Kevin

This has been my essential disappointment with the bulk selection so far and
this 'upper limit' statement does not help instill my confidence.  To me,
being able to buy each brick or plate size individually is not worth it if I
can't still get a thorough selection of sizes.

This is why I would much rather see something like the former packs (like
they used to have and have just reissued for blue and yellow bricks &
plates) for bricks, plates, slopes, and maybe even tiles.  This smaller
number of basic items could be kept as perpetual stock while more
specialized items like trees and windows could be rotated.  We've always had
accessory packs for more specialized items like that come and go.  (Yeah, a
lot of people probably wouldn't agree that tiles are a basic item, whatever,
that's not my point.)

More bad luck for LD than for me.  Show me a brown roof pack (for instance)
with the selection the 5151 red roof pack had and I'll be all over it.  I'm
not going to stock up on brown 2x4 slopes hoping they'll eventually make a
2x2 so I can actually begin to make a serious roof with them.

If they intend to make a wide selection (again, brown slopes for instance)
then offer them at the same time.  If it's going to take years to come up
with a decent selection with some being retired before the last are offered
then I'll be buying some of it second hand once I know I can use it.  More
LD's loss than mine.

John