 Events / BrickFest / 416
Re: From Mike Walsh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:47:55 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Kevin Salm writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Kevin Wilson writes:
were answered as "we are aware of the irregularities in the line, we are
looking to expand it. There is an upper limit on the total number of items
we can offer at one time. We also are constrained by needing to leverage
what is in production already to get the parts that comprise the pack"

Uh oh. That sounds to me like, to get new stuff in they are going to have to
drop some existing stuff out (once the limit is reached, whatever it is).
IOW, buy what you need before it disappears, and if you don't realise you
need it till it's gone, bad luck :-(

Kevin

I have always envisioned that this is how the bulk offering would work.  Items
would be made available for 12 months or so to be replaced with new offerings.
We cannot expect Lego to warehouse hundreds of bulk products and continue to
add more selections.  Items will have to be purged from the product roster in
order to maintain profitability.  Similar to Lego retail products.

Yes, this would be what we expect.  A potential problem, however, is the
current lack of information available from TLC[1].  It would be reasonable to
assume that some bulk parts will be perennials[2], while others will have
limited stock[3] or lifetimes.  Right now, however, we can't tell into which
category a given service pack might fall.  I think that lack of information is
potentially bad:  when something disappears, people will be frustrated if they
were counting on it to be there.  If some seemingly random pack (say, brown
slopes) *doesn't* disappear, people who spent money on it instead of something
else thinking that it would disappear and they would need it "some day" would
likewise be frustrated.  Either way, the customers are unhappy and are probably
spending less.

I think the solution is to print in the catalog roughly when LD expects a given
service pack, or a class of service packs, to no longer be available.

TWS Garrison

[1] I'm not thinking of LUGNet posts, but information presented in the catalog.

[2] Say, gray bricks. . .after all, Grey Bricks was available for,
what, 15 years?

[3] I can imagine TLC "using up" an old mold on bulk paks that Billund would
expect LD to flush out of the system, rather than adding that part to current
sets and risking the need to make a new mold.