 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2413
Re: All this fuss about service packs and accessories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 13:07:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tony Priestman writes:

Between approx. 22:30 BST on Wednesday and 17:00 on Friday, 192 online
orders were placed at S@H Europe. This is based on my order numbers.

Given that many people will have made more than one order, like me, I
reckon there's about 100-150 people who've shown enough interest to
order, and that includes anyone ordering other stuff as well.

Agreed. Guild of Bricksmiths probably accounted for at least 15-20 of those
orders (I put in three, expect to see a new design from MTW using garage
doors if I get filled).

No doubt a lot of US fans did not have the infrastructure (i.e. a friend in
the UK) to place an order and so held back, and further, there wasn't a big
marketing push to sell these, it was just publicity here.  So it's a large
number when measuring how many orders are generated by the web... but not a
large number in the overall scheme of things.

To Richard's point...  I doubt that MB outsells LEGO(r) worldwide But I
would not be at all surprised if their profit per set was higher. They seem
to be executing a number of good moves in a row. TLC on the other hand,
while having done some good things, and some money losing things, is also
weighed down by some significant costs (opening parks is not cheap, etc.)
that Ritvik doesn't have.

So it may be apples and oranges but we still (as I think Richard is saying)
can only hope that people at TLC are looking at how MB does things. I hope
so for their sake. I think they are, the people I met are no slouches.

For the volumes concerned, I think they are showing a lot of goodwill by
shipping some of this stuff to North America.

I agree.

++Lar