 General / 30067
Re: All this fuss about service packs and accessories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 18:17:09 GMT

On Sat, 5 May 2001 10:32:05 GMT, "Thomas Avery" <tanyatj@texas.net>
wrote:

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Funny, but with all the fuss on lugnet these last couple of days about
shop.lego.com in Europe selling old service packs and stuff, and demands
that lego do same in USA, or start making them again, I have to observe that
the reason they stopped selling them in the first place is because no one
bought them (and the same reason they still have all these sets  left over
too).

Agreed. You can't turn a profit if no one is buying your goods. However, I
feel that what is offered to Lego customers in Europe should be available to
Lego customers elsewhere in the world. If it costs a little extra to ship to
the US, then fine. I'm sure many would pay the extra to get ahold of these
parts.

Very true, no sales = no profit.  LEGO is going to offer what they
want , where they want.  The best that most of us can hope is the
better stuff gets to where we are.  I'd love for everything to be
available everywhere, I don't know if that will ever  be possible, but
S@H and its shop.lego.com are probably the best bet from what I have
seen.  I know I've read that LEGO ships pretty much all it product
overseas by boat, container ship if I recall correctly so there is a
fairly large lead time there.  I don't ever see them FedEx'ing a
couple of thousand Aero Tube Hangers for instance.  Also the local
LEGO company may not be setup to ship overseas (i.e. LEGO U.K.) just
may have the facilities to ship retail packages to the U.S. or
Australia for example.

This brings up another point, those of us in the U.S. are not the most
deprived LEGO consumers in the world :^)

I'll speculate that the reason they stopped making them is that the
sets they accessorize were no longer being make so it could be hard to
set up a production run for various parts for a set that is lower
volume (it can be hardly can be a high volume set at only S@H and the
few (at the time) retail outlets that were allowed to carry them, can
it?).

These old service packs are a dream come true for some of us AFOLs. We grew
up with the old parts and now, finally making our own money, are trying to
fulfill our childhood dreams. Whether it is collecting sets or building our
MOCs, we want the old parts.

Is the fuss just a few people who crave these pieces, or is there genuine
demand?

This is an excellent question. The few people making the "fuss" always agree
that many others share their views. So where's the proof? Maybe if Lego
offered to ship from Europe to elsewhere in the world it would finally prove
to them what the demand is really like.

Or simply wait and see what happens in Europe. If Lego sells out of the old
parts quickly, then that would be a good indicator.

It would be nice to know from Lego how the old parts have been selling, and
if they feel there is a strong demand.

T. J.

I don't usually move very fast on online deals, and by the time I want
to they are usually gone/over.  I have a strong preference to walking
into a store and just physically picking up a set (or whatever I am
buying) paying for it and taking it home.  If it was at the U.S. S@H
I'd have given it a shot to get some, I hope this    'July surprise'
for castle heads pans out to something I like.  I believe  that the
S@H market is better publicized now than it was then so the market
snaps up the unusual or rare offerings that appear.
Mike
--

All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)