 General / 30060
Re: All this fuss about service packs and accessories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 15:03:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Funny, but with all the fuss on lugnet these last couple of days about
shop.lego.com in Europe selling old service packs and stuff, and demands
that lego do same in USA, or start making them again, I have to observe that
the reason they stopped selling them in the first place is because no one
bought them (and the same reason they still have all these sets  left over
too).

Is the fuss just a few people who crave these pieces, or is there genuine
demand?
If there is a demand - why wasn't it there less than 2 yeas ago when they
stopped selling them? Why will it suddenly grow now?

Is the fuss just because of the highish prices some of these things can go
for on ebay, and people seeing dollar signs, or just want to collect for
rarity value, or do they have need for the sets?

In reality these parts on ebay reflect very few people selling to very few
people - the prices might be high - but thats because they are collectors.
It doesnt reflect a mass market for this stuff.

Sorry, but a couple of dozen folks demanding this stuff on lugnet does not a
market make - certainly not enough to fire up production lines

Before anyone asks, I confess to having bought very few of these sets and
only the parts I needed for some mocs I have in mind or under construction.

regards
lawrence

They whole reaseon that I never ordered before when they were available waay
back when they were "new" was that I did not have the available cash or a
general trust in mail ordering from Shop @ Home.  When the 1999 assortment
hit, I became a bit better able to make S@H purchases (though the two are
not related), and that seemed to be when many of these accessories were
thinning out, or had been discontinued for quite some time.  Many of the
packs that have been out of production for quite some time went by the
wayside long before I could throw my two cents at them.  I am just excited
to be able to purchase any new Castle line product from LEGO at all, like
the currently running Knights Kingdom.  The fact that accessory packs have
been mostly unavailable has been a minor annoyance, but I sincerely WOULD
LIKE to see the packs on the UK pages of www.lego.com become available to us
folk here in the colonies (USA in case you wondered).  Even better would be
if LEGO would just start re-issuing all the old Castle sets ever produced
since 1984.  Heck, if I could order any color of Train from the web site in
so many different configurations, why not do the same with a few from
LEGOLAND Castle System???  How about a few color variations available on a
complete 6080 King's Castle from Shop @ Home, the same treatment for 6071
Forrestmen's Crossing and also 6067 Guarded Inn???  Decorative accessory
packs are good, Castle sets (classic stuff) done up like the new Trains
would be even better!!
As of now, I have few complaints with how LEGO provides my parts.  If they
can do more for the USA market, then I think that they should.
Best wishes,
-Aaron-

I think it's quite plain and simple: back then, nobody needed the service
packs. All you had to do is buy a set - at that time you would get a good set
with a lot of good parts. Now, however, since the parts are ridiculous, there
is a high demand for the good old parts.

Just my two cents.

Eric.